Hanafica Project • Research Journal
The Mission Behind Hanafica
Reconstructing the intellectual history of the Hanafi school of law.
Hello again.
It has been three months since my first post, and I am pleased to share the next chapter of the Hanafica Project. Today I would like to explain the purpose of this undertaking and the questions that guide my research.
Research Focus
The Hanafica Project seeks to reconstruct how the Hanafi school evolved, adapted and influenced legal thought across different regions and historical periods.
Key Objectives
| ① | Documenting the evolution of Hanafi law Tracing the school from Abu Hanifa to contemporary interpretations. |
| ② | Analysing jurists and texts Studying both celebrated and overlooked scholars. |
| ③ | Regional development Following the tradition across Central Asia, the Ottoman Empire and South Asia. |
| ④ | Political context Examining interactions with Abbasid, Ottoman and colonial institutions. |
| ⑤ | Reference resource Creating a comprehensive collection of biographies, texts and thematic studies. |
Research Framework
| Origins Abu Hanifa |
Texts Manuals & Commentaries |
Jurists Networks |
Regions Transmission |
Institutions Courts & States |
The ambition of Hanafica is not simply to catalogue books and scholars, but to understand how a legal tradition develops into an enduring intellectual civilisation.
It is an ambitious project and I am building it one step at a time. Thank you for following this journey. I look forward to sharing new discoveries in the months ahead.
Cheers,
Aybek
Aybek